San Francisco, CA, March 6, 2014—With the unofficial slogan "solving complex problems with simple code," the F# programming language is making functional programming accessible to legions of developers.
The Book of F# is a comprehensive guide to F# that lets readers familiar with languages like Java or C# join a community of developers who are already using F# to solve their tricky programming problems. Regardless of the project or platform, F# can help developers craft leaner, smarter, and more correct code thanks to features like F#'s powerful type system.
In The Book of F#, author Dave Fancher brings 10 years of .NET development and his experience as a Microsoft MVP to the table. Readers will learn how to:
- Exploit F#'s functional nature using currying, partial application, and delegation
- Streamline type creation and safety with record types and discriminated unions
- Use collection types and modules to handle data sets more effectively
- Use pattern matching to decompose complex types and branch code within a single expression
- Make software more responsive with parallel programming and asynchronous workflows
- Harness object orientation to develop rich frameworks and interact with code written in other .NET languages
- Use query expressions and type providers to access and manipulate data sets from disparate sources
The Book of F# promises to help coders everywhere make sense of this sometimes-tricky language so that they can break free of the bonds of traditional object-oriented programming.
For more information or to request a review copy of The Book of F#, contact KC Crowell at No Starch Press ([email protected], +1.415.863.9900 x113 or visit www.nostarch.com).
No Starch Press Catalog Page
Chapter 5: Let's Get Functional (PDF)
Table of Contents
Detailed Table of Contents (PDF)
You Might Also Be Interested In:
Available in fine bookstores everywhere, from http://www.oreilly.com/nostarch, or directly from No Starch Press (http://www.nostarch.com, [email protected], 1-800-420-7240).
About No Starch Press
Founded in 1994, No Starch Press publishes the finest in geek entertainment. Our titles have personality, our authors are passionate, and our books tackle topics that people care about. No Starch Press titles have won the Grand Prize at the San Francisco Book Festival and the Independent Publisher Book Award (the "IPPY") from Independent Publisher.
O'Reilly Media spreads the knowledge of innovators through its books, online services, magazines, and conferences. Since 1978, O'Reilly Media has been a chronicler and catalyst of cutting-edge development, homing in on the technology trends that really matter and spurring their adoption by amplifying "faint signals" from the alpha geeks who are creating the future. An active participant in the technology community, the company has a long history of advocacy, meme-making, and evangelism.
# # #
O'Reilly is a registered trademark of O'Reilly Media, Inc. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.