No Starch Press was founded in 1994 and is one of the most admired and respected technical book publishing companies in the world. Our independent company continues to turn tech book publishing on its head by opening new markets and demonstrating, time and again, that geeks still love print books. We value collaboration and creativity, we’re passionate about quality, and we aim to make our readers happy. We seek people who are committed to our ideals and who value quality in everything that they do.
As our founder likes to say, “We’re changing the world, one book at a time.”
We're hiring for the following positions:
All full time positions offer holiday, vacation, and sick time as well as medical, dental, and vision insurance. We also offer a 401k with match, profit-sharing, a pension plan, and bonus potential. And we stock our fridge with food so you'll never have to miss lunch.
NOTE: When applying for any of these positions please be sure to tell us why you would like to work with us.
Please send all job applications to [email protected]
As our Marketing Manager you will manage all content promotion, drive brand awareness, and coordinate our marketing efforts with those of our distributor, Penguin Random House.
- Develop marketing plans and prepare sales materials and presentations
- Create, manage, and track marketing campaigns
- Advise authors on growing their online presence
- Supervise creative for ads, collateral, and other promotional items
- Develop content for consumer marketing including author videos, Q&A’s, and original essays
- Craft consistent brand message
- Develop strategies for targeting new markets
- Manage our social media presence
- Manage publicity. Pitch and answer media inquiries.
- Create monthly reports
The ideal candidate will possess:
- Excellent communication skills
- A four year college degree
- 10+ years experience in the book or gift industry
We're looking for a Sales Manager to join our team in San Francisco. Together with our distributor Penguin Random House (PRHS) you will lead and direct sales and business development in sales channels including National Accounts, National Specialty, Mass Market, Warehouse Clubs, Department Stores, Airport, Makerspaces, Libraries, and so on. You will provide overall strategy and direction for growing and sustaining existing customers and for developing new business. You should have experience leading a sales team focused in many if not all of these markets.
- Work closely with the PRHS sales team to develop sales strategy, initial buys, in-store promotions, establish sales targets, improve market share, and ensure that we reach annual sales goals
- Communicate with management, analyze sales data, and develop new reports and analysis
- Position frontlist and backlist titles to maximize sales potential
- Maintain comprehensive knowledge of competitor, consumer, and industry trends and stay current on our titles to support our readers and our distributor
- Participate in business reviews and sales calls with the PRHS sales team
- Work with the PRHS sales team to ensure our titles are represented throughout various markets, evaluate their performance, and recommend changes as necessary
- Work closely with Marketing on programs and promotions designed to increase sales and develop sales tools (presentations, reports, sell sheets, promotions, initiatives, trainings)
- Control expenses, review warehouse and promotions charges, and manage travel and entertainment expenses
- Inform new book acquisition and positioning to maximize sales potential
- Collaborate with inventory management team to set initial printings and reprints
- Represent us at events and key trade shows
- Assist in the preparation of annual budget and sales forecasts
- 10+ years of sales management experience in gift or book industry
- Demonstrated success in managing and growing sales and in identifying new business
- Demonstrated success in deal-making
- Proficiency in Zoho or similar, Excel, PowerPoint, and the ability to learn new programs as needed
- Travel required
We're in need of a Sales Assistant. You will primarily support our distribution team at Penguin Random House.
- Act as liaison with the Penguin Random House sales and distribution team
- Review sales reports
- Manage foreign rights contacts
- Schedule appointments for key book fairs like Frankfurt and London
- Maintain customer database and contacts in Zoho (it's easy)
- 2 years related experience
- Organized and detail-oriented
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Able to think critically and work independently
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, Google Suite, and a willingness to learn new technologies
We’re looking for talented freelance designers to design book covers and interiors. To be considered, please send your resume and portfolio to [email protected].
We're always on the lookout for excellent proofreaders, copyeditors, and indexers. If you're interested in freelance work, please send an email detailing your relevant experience to [email protected].